Step by step on how to create page in WordPress (Classic Editor)
WordPress is a free and open-source content management system. It allows you
to create and update your websites without any special programming skills.
This makes it easy for anyone, including WordPress users themselves, to create
their website. The best part about using WordPress is that the design can be
customised however you want. You can use a custom theme to make your site look
exactly how you want it to.
A step-by-step guide on setting up a Page in WordPress (Classic Editor)
Below is a step by step guide on how to set up a page in WordPress and the
different elements that you can add to it. The steps are really simple and
easy to follow.
1. Login to your WordPress site click on “Pages” from the
left vertical navigation bar. This will show you all the pages you have
created on your WordPress site. If you haven’t created any pages yet, then
there won’t be any found in this list.
2. Click on the “Add New” button at the top of this list. This will bring up a
new form which will ask you to fill out information about the page that you
want to create.
3. First enter an appropriate page title for your page in the “Title” field. Enter a short descriptive title to grab your audiences attention.
4. Next add the main content of your page to the “content editor”, also known as a WYSIWYG (what you see is what you get) editor. Here you can add the description for your page. Additionally you can find controls to edit your text (bold, italic, bullet lists, numbered lists, blockquotes, text alignment, links) and also a drop down to insert headings. Please see examples below:
Bolded text, Italic text
- Bullet list
- Bullet list 2
- Number list
- Number list 1
Left align text
Center align text
Right align text
And this is some text with an embedded link within it
5. You can also add images within the content editor by clicking the “Add media” button
6. Now just add a main image for your page using the “Feature Image” uploader on the right hand side of the just click the “Set featured image” link and you will be taken to the media uploader. The feature image is the hero image that will be displayed at the top of you page, this may differ depending on the theme that your site has installed.
7. Once you are happy with your new page you can head to the “Publish” section. Here you will be able to do a number of things the main ones of which are:
- Save Draft – This will mean the page is only in draft mode and not live.
- Preview – This will open a new tab showing the page as the public will view it
- Move to Trash – Deletes the page
- Publish – This will make the page live
8. If you are happy with the page click “Publish”. If you want to make future changes to the page click “Pages/All Pages” from the left vertical navigation bar, select the page from the pages list and click “Edit.
WordPress is great for users who are either just starting or have a lot of
experience with websites and web design. It has so many plug-ins, themes and
so much customisation that it will be a site you will want to use. Not only is
it easy to use but it’s free as well, and you will be able to make your
website look exactly how you want it to.